Great Plants for Making a Hedge
Great plants for hedging include:
- Field Maple
- Quick Thorn
- Rosa Rugosa
- Green Beech
- Purple Beech
Tips on planting a hedge:
- Plant while dormant in the autumn or winter
- Dig the ground well incorporating plenty of organic material
- Add bone meal to the soil at planting time
- Water the plants well before planting
- Plant in either: a single row 25cm – 30cm apart , or a double row with the plants 45cm apart and the rows 20cm apart.
- Firm the ground well.
- Apply a good amount of water to settle the soil around the roots.
- Finally, prune the plants back by 1/3rd to encourage branching to produce a thick hedge.